Your wait for months at a stretch is over as you hold your little one for the first time. All the labor pain, and the testing times during your pregnancy, seem to be fruitful as you watch your one-month-old baby give its first toothless smile. As you enter the beautiful world of parenthood, a new phase begins in your life. As beautiful as this journey is, parenting demands many responsibilities and care for your little one.
The first few months after the homecoming of your little miracle is crucial, as they will touch several newborn baby developmental milestones. However, as first-time parents, you may want to provide the best care to your one-month-old baby but may feel overwhelmed about how to go about it! So, we have curated this article as a detailed guide to newborn baby care 1st month of their care and development that highlights several aspects, especially what to expect in the first few months.
GETTING HELP AFTER THE BIRTH
The phase after giving birth is exhausting and overwhelming for parents, especially mothers recovering from the delivery and dealing with postpartum. It is best to get some help to care for your baby during this time. Moreover, while in the hospital, talk to experts who can help you know about various breastfeeding techniques. Get to speak to a nurse who is also a great resource to help you learn how to hold and burp your 1st-month baby. Once you are home, consider getting professional help by hiring a baby nurse or a postpartum doula.
Take help from your doctor or hospital, who might be able to refer you to some home health agencies. Your relatives and friends may often want to help or share their experiences, so try to hear from them, even if you disagree on certain things. Lastly, if you feel you do not want visitors at this time, do not feel guilty about placing restrictions on visiting your baby.
HANDLING A ONE-MONTH-OLD BABY
Worrying about the safety of your little one is quite natural. Hence in this section, we have provided some essential tips about how to handle newborn babies with care -
- 1 • Since the global pandemic has hit, our concerns for maintaining hygiene have touched the roof. And with a month baby, you want to be extra careful. So, make sure that you wash your hands before handling your baby, as they do not have a fully developed immune system yet, so they're at risk for infection.
- 2 • To hold your baby, support their head and neck.
- 3 • Remember never to shake your newborn baby, as it can cause bleeding in the brain and even death. So, if you have to wake your little ones for breastfeeding, do not shake them, instead, tickle their feet or blow gently on their cheek.
- 4 • While moving your newborn around, ensure you securely fasten them into the carrier, stroller, or car seat.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before Good Value for Money on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the Deals are Live till stocks last!
ALL ABOUT DIAPERING FOR A NEWBORN BABY
One of the important items in the newborn essentials checklist is a diaper. You would have probably decided whether to go for our SuperBottoms cloth diapers or disposable ones before you bring your baby home.
But you must know that your little one will dirty their diapers about 10 times daily. Ensure that all your diapering essentials are within your reach so you do not have to leave your little one unattended while changing. By diapering essentials, we mean -
- 1 • A clean diaper
- 2 • Diaper ointment
- 3 • Diaper wipes
Also, the following are some essential tips you must take note of while diapering your little one -
- 1 • Whenever the diaper is wet, lay your baby on its back and remove the dirty diaper. Then, use the water, cotton balls, and washcloth or wipes to wipe your baby's genital area clean gently.
- 2 • Diaper rash is a common concern, as one-month-old babies' skin is susceptible. However, these rashes go away in a few days with warm baths, some diaper cream, and a diaper-free time with SuperBottoms padded underwear.
- 3 • Make sure you change your little one's diaper often.
- 4 • If you use reusable cloth diapers, do not forget to wash them in with detergent sheets.
BASICS: The following are some bathing basics that you should take note of -
Sponge Baths: It is essential to give only sponge baths to your one-month-old baby until:
- 1 • Their umbilical cord falls off, and the navel heals entirely between 1–4 weeks.
- 2 • Their circumcision heals, which is usually between 1–2 weeks.
The following are some tips on how to sponge bathe one-month-old baby -
- 3 • Select a safe, flat surface in a warm room for sponge-bathe your baby.
- 4 • Fill a sink or bowl with lukewarm water.
- 5 • Undress your baby and wrap them in a towel
- 6 • Gently wipe your infant's eyes with a washcloth dampened with lukewarm water.
- 7 • Clean their nose and ears with a damp washcloth.
- 8 • Use baby shampoo, and create a lather to wash your baby's head.
You can take note of the following steps to bathe your little one in the tub when they are ready for it -
- 1 • Use an infant tub with 2 to 3 inches of warm water.
- 2 • Undress your baby and immediately place them in the tub in a warm remove to prevent chills.
- 3 • Always use one of your hands to support the head and the other hand to guide the baby's feet.
- 4 • Gently massage your baby's scalp using baby shampoo and rinse it off carefully without the shampoo getting into the eyes.
- 5 • Gently wash the rest of the baby's body with water and a small amount of soap.
One-month-old baby sleeps for about 17 hours a day. However, as new parents, you must note your developing baby's sleeping milestones and timings. Here are some essentials tips and information about newborn baby sleeping basics -
- 1 • Newborn babies typically sleep for 2–4 hours at a stretch.
- 2 • Newborns must be awakened every few hours to be fed.
- 3 • They are not yet accustomed to the rhythms of day and night; hence you will notice your newborn baby may not sleep through the night without waking up several times.
- 4 • It is essential to place your baby on their back while sleeping to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome(SIDS).
- 5 • Do not have loose bedding or pillows in your newborn's crib, for there is an increased risk of them getting suffocated.
- 6 • If you want to recreate the safe and snug environment of the womb, consider SuperBottoms Swaddle Wraps for Newborns. This highest grade of the softest and gentlest Mulmul provides complete comfort to your one-month-old while they sleep.
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF A NEWBORN
Your baby's development starts physically, socially, and emotionally right after birth. They are learning every day in the first few months of life through interactions with parents, caregivers, and relatives. Hence it is essential to tend to your baby's social and emotional development by doing the following things -
- 1 • Provide babies with responsive care, which can be done by understanding your baby's likes and dislikes, their daily schedule, and sleeping patterns
- 2 • Support your baby's developmental skills by acknowledging their little discoveries.
- 3 • Help your baby feel safe and secure.
- 4 • Show them affection by showering them with kisses and hugs.
PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT OF A NEWBORN
Take note of the following physical development milestones for your one-month-old baby during this period (1) -
- 1 • Height and weight milestones
- 2 • Changes in the physical appearance of the head
- 3 • Evolving of physical features
- 4 • Development of motor skills
- 5 • Taste and sensory development
ACTIVITIES FOR BETTER DEVELOPMENT OF NEWBORN BABIES
You may find your baby alert and ready to engage with you between all the feeding and diaper changes. Every new experience helps in a baby's development.
Hence each little activity or interaction gives them a chance to learn and bond with you! We have listed a few activities that help in the better development of your one-month-old baby-
- 1 • Sensory activities include reading a book, talking to your baby, listening to soothing music, introducing different textures, etc.
- 2 • Indoor activities include tummy time, mirror games, baby massage, etc.
- 3 • Outdoor activities include playing with bubbles, reading books in the fresh air, etc.
1. Responsibility & Care: While parenting is a wonderful experience, it entails a lot of responsibility and care for your child.
2. Seek Help: While recovering from birth and dealing with postpartum might be challenging, it is always advisable to obtain some support caring for your infant during this time.
3. Ensure Safety: When moving your newborn, make sure they are securely placed into the carrier, stroller, or car seat.
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS
Hola, New Moms and Dads! We at SuperBottoms ensure you have the best and safest products for your babies, no matter what corner of India or the world you are in. SuperBottoms is appropriate for your baby's sensitive skin throughout their Cloth Diapers journey, in any season, and also offers Padded Underwear for women. If you reside in Canada, Kuwait, the United States, Qatar, Hawaii, Bahrain, Armenia, the United Arab Emirates, or the Philippines, SuperBottoms is an essential product for you and your child.