At around sixteen weeks of your pregnancy, you will start noticing the change in the shape, size, and even the color of your breasts and nipples. Hormonal changes in the body lead to changes in your breast size, and all those cute and lovely bras you have been enjoying will be of no use until your breasts return to their original size – which happens mostly only after you stop breastfeeding.
In some cases, the size of a mother’s breast permanently changes. Thus, relying on your old bras is probably not the smartest thing. Instead, right from your pregnancy stage, start investing in the correct size of bra for pregnant women. This article will help you understand the importance of using the right size of bra for pregnant women, how to use a maternity bra, and what to avoid while buying a bra for pregnant women.
You can even go for a feeding or maternity bra directly, so you do not have to invest in them again when your baby arrives. Club them with washable Nursing Breast Pads and Stole Style Nursing Covers, and be prepared for the breastfeeding journey in advance!
Why Does The Breast Size Change?
Before discussing the factors to consider before you start looking for a bra for pregnant women, you need to understand why a new set of bras would be required for you (1). The hormones Estrogen and Progesterone change the levels during pregnancy. These two hormones significantly prepare your breasts for lactation and produce Prolactin hormones responsible for breast milk kicking in.
When these changes start to occur inside your body, it also reflects on the outside with a difference in the breast size. Apart from increased size, you will also experience tender or sore breasts, swelling in the breasts, and breasts feeling full or heavy. Please remember that all these are symptoms that almost everyone experiences during their pregnancy.
Importance of Using Right Size Maternity Bra
1. When your breast size increases, they will be ill-fitted if you continue with the old bras. As a result, you will see bulges over the cleavage area, side boobs, and under-boob situations, which will look awkward and feel extremely uncomfortable to you. Thus, wearing the correct size bra for pregnant women is essential.
2. A tight bra during pregnancy will put pressure on your breasts, thus resulting in sore breasts and even the milk ducts getting plugged.
3. The wife-free seam-free bra for pregnant women makes the extra weight bearable and comfortable to get your back. However, many women complain of having sore backs and back aches due to excess pressure and frontal weight.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
How To Find Your Perfect Fit
Because of the nature of the product and hygiene issues, most e-commerce websites do not allow the return of undergarments, including a bra, for pregnant women. Also, because the size has changed, it is always advised to try and buy. There are many specialty lingerie stores where you can talk to a fit expert, get proper measurements and then invest in an excellent fitting bra.
The sign that you found your perfect bra or nursing pad is that the cup will conceal your breasts without any bulges or spilling out of the skin. It will feel comfortable and support your breast without pressure on your back. Stay away from non-absorbent synthetic and lacy material, as it might look appealing, but at this stage, you need comfort over or maybe comfortable fashion!
TIPS FOR BUYING THE BEST BRA FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
1. Find the right fit and get those. Refer to the section above for information on finding the right fit.
2. If the bra starts to feel snug or tight, your breasts might be going through change again, and you might need to have yet another trip to the lingerie store and buy a few new pairs.
3. If the bra merges the two breasts into one and creates a uni-boob, it is not the perfect fit and the right size cup. A perfectly fitting bra will keep the section between the breasts flat and not bulgy.
4. The lower band of the bra should be comfortable reaching below the shoulder blades. If the straps or the lower band feel stretched or dig into your skin, try a size bigger instead.
5. Conversely, if the straps keep falling off the shoulders or the cups are too loose, you must go for a smaller size or fit the straps with the adjustment hooks.
6. Do not overindulge by purchasing only enough for two days, and adjust your laundry cycle accordingly. With SuperBottoms Laundry sheets, you can easily wash your breastfeeding pads and maternity bras alongside your baby's essentials, reducing your washing efforts by half. But consider before purchasing if your breast size changes again after delivery; these will be useless in a few months.
7. Underwire bras should be avoided because the pressure from the wires can harm the breast tissues and reduce milk production. However, if you experience leaks, consider purchasing breast milk leak pads.
8. Some women prefer slip-on sports bras, but when it comes to maternity wear, it is always better to buy a bra for pregnant women with hooks and eyes. This ensures that you can adjust the bra snugness easily and do not have to change the bra at a minor change in the breast size.
9. In India, depending on which brand and material you choose, you can get a bra for pregnant women ranging from 400 Rs to even 1500 – 2K per piece. Which bra you choose will depend on the material you are comfortable with, whether or not you want designs and styling as a factor, and, of course, your budget.
Now that you have all the information you need to purchase a nursing or maternity bra, go ahead, do your research, get a fit check and trial done, and go for it. Happy Pregnancy To You!
In conclusion, understanding the importance of maternity and nursing bras is essential for the comfort and well-being of pregnant and breastfeeding women. Nursing bras provide the necessary support and convenience for breastfeeding mothers, allowing for easy access during nursing sessions. Maternity bras, on the other hand, are designed to accommodate the changing shape and size of breasts during pregnancy. By investing in high-quality nursing bras, such as those available online, women can ensure optimal comfort and functionality. It is crucial to choose bras specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women, as they provide the right fit, support, and accessibility. Whether it's a nursing feeding bra for convenient feeding or a maternity bra for comfortable support during pregnancy, these specialized bras play a significant role in enhancing the breastfeeding and maternity experience for women.
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS
Hola, new parents! Although SuperBottoms is an Indian brand that offers eco-friendly and reusable cloth diapers for babies., the products suit children worldwide. Whether you live in Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Qatar, Hawaii, Bahrain, the Philippines, or Armenia, it is a must-have for you and your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What is the difference between a nursing bra and a maternity bra?
A1: A maternity bra is designed to support and accommodate the changing size and shape of breasts during pregnancy. On the other hand, a nursing bra has features like easy-open flaps or clasps that allow convenient access for breastfeeding.
Q2: When should I start wearing a maternity bra?
A2: It is recommended to wear a maternity bra once you notice your regular bras becoming uncomfortable or tight, usually around the second trimester. However, every woman's experience is different, so it's best to listen to your body and make the switch when you feel the need for added support.
Q3: Can I wear a regular bra during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
A3: Regular bras may not provide the support and comfort needed during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Maternity and nursing bras are designed to accommodate changes in breast size and shape, give better support, and offer convenient access to nursing-feeding bras. It is advisable to invest in bras designed for this purpose.
Q4: Where can I buy a nursing bra online?
A4: Various online retailers offer nursing bras online. Look for reputable maternity and nursing wear brands or specialized lingerie retailers with many options. Ensure to check sizing guides and customer reviews to make an informed purchase.
Q5: How do I choose the right size for a nursing feeding bra?
A5: It is essential to measure yourself accurately for a proper fit. Take measurements of your band size and cup size, and refer to the sizing charts provided by the manufacturer or retailer. Remember that your breast size may change throughout pregnancy and while breastfeeding, so reassessing your size periodically is recommended.