Pregnancy is a beautiful journey of nourishing a life inside of you. These nine months lead to many changes in your body, allowing your little one to nurture and grow. One of the most significant changes is that your body prepares for lactation by increasing the number of milk ducts in your breasts.
However, most expectant mothers and those already nursing their newborns face the common issue of milk leakage. Are you facing a similar unexpected leakage too? This is common, and you do not have to worry because SuperBottoms dry feel nursing pads can be your ultimate saviour. This article will provide a detailed guide on nursing pads use, tips, types and benefits.
Benefits of Using Breast Pads
Nursing pads use for all you breastfeeding mums can be a boon. Nursing pads may seem to be small and trivial, but they have invaluable benefits to offer. Some of the benefits of using nursing pads are listed below -1. Helps to soak milk leakage: The primary use of breast pads is to soak up milk leakage and protect your outerwear from those evident wet spots.
2. Refines the appearance of breasts: While lactating, your breasts may lose firmness and become tender. Not even a supportive bra can maintain the appearance of loose breasts. However, some nursing pads may provide additional support by holding your breasts in place, thereby improving the appearance
3. Helps to soothe tenderness: Irrespective of what breastfeeding techniques can cause your nipples to become tender. But nursing pads provide a soft medium between your nipples and bra, thereby preventing your nipples from rubbing on the bra. Moreover, it offers relief between feeding sessions, helping your nipple to recover.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
Are Breast Pads Safe?
Despite the benefits of nursing pads, it is natural to be concerned about hygiene and other risks of placing anything on your nipples, especially when feeding your baby. However, the good news is that nursing pads use is completely safe and hygienic.
But there are a few things you must keep in mind before nursing pads use, and they are -A. Change your reusable breast pads frequently or when damp to avoid moisture around the nipple which can foster the growth of bacteria.
B. Breast pads may irritate the skin around the nipple, causing discomfort for some women. However, this is not a serious concern as a good nipple cream may be used to prevent irritation.
Disposable Breast Pads
There are different breast pad options available in the market, and disposable ones are one of the varieties available. Disposable breast pads are relatively thin and have varying absorbencies, similar to sanitary napkins. As the name suggests, it is a single-use absorbent pad that needs to be disposed of. Disposable breast fads offer certain benefits such as being convenient to use, containing adhesive to stay in place, are thin and discreet. However, most maternity breast pads have the following cons that you must take note of before buying -1. It contains absorbent chemicals that you will be putting directly against your skin.
2. It lacks proper air circulation, leading to discomfort and locked-in moisture.
3. It would help if you constantly kept changing breast pads to avoid the risk of catching a bacterial infection, which means you will have a recurring expense while nursing.
Reusable Breast Pads
The next option we are looking at is a more sustainable and financially viable variety of nursing breast pads. Reusable breast pads are made of natural fibres and can be machine-washed multiple times. They can fit into your bra, just like disposable breast pads. If you are environmentally conscious while also looking for a safer option for yourself, Superbottoms reusable breast pads are your ultimate choice. However, before making your choice, you must take note of the following points about reusable nursing pads-1. Lacks adhesive
2. Are comparatively thicker
3. Requires regular cleaning.
How to Use Breast Pads
If you have chosen the type of washable breast pads that suits you the best, it is time to dive into the next section. Here we provide expert tips on using nursing pads, highlighting placing and removing the places with safety and hygiene.
How to Place Breast Pads?1. Ready the Nursing Pads - First, take out the nursing pads from the packaging. If disposable, they will have an adhesive, so remove the sticker containing the adhesive.
2. Place the Nursing Pads - Begin easing off your bra strap on the side where you place the pad. Now place the pad on the nipple, adjusting it to cover the whole nipple. Bring the bra strap back up after securing the placement.
3. Positioning the Nursing Pads - One of the most critical aspects of nursing pad use is ensuring they are aligned correctly over your nipples before you get dressed. During the early days soon after childbirth, when milk leakage is at its peak, you will have to opt for a thicker pad. However, soon after the first few weeks of breastfeeding, as the leakage decreases, you can opt for thinner pads
4. Care While Wearing - In case you are using the non-adhesive type of nursing pads, there are chances of them sliding around in your bra during the day. So, if you need to reposition them, take the time to go to the restroom, and correct it to avoid leakage or dampening your bra or top.
How to Remove Breast Pads?A. Replacing Your Pads: It is essential to remove and replace your nursing pads whenever necessary regularly. For example, if your nursing pads are damp or it is time to feed your baby, you will need to remove them.
B. Taking Them Off : While taking off your nursing pads, be slow, especially with adhesive-backed nursing pads, to avoid hurting your skin. In case your pads are stuck to your breasts, consider dampening with water to loosen the adhesive
C. Disposal: If you use reusable nursing pads, store them separately for laundry. However, if they are moist from leakage, immediately wash them as old milk stains are likely breeding grounds for germs.
D. Clean Your breasts: You need to clean your breasts with a wet cloth if there is milk leakage. Preferably use warm water to clean the area and pat the area with a soft towel before you replace your washable nursing pads.
E. Replacing Your Pads: If your pad gets soiled with leakage, consider replacing it with a new one only after thoroughly drying your skin. In that case, pick a new and dry bra if your old one was soiled, and position a fresh pad therein.
Nursing pad use can be tricky, especially if you are unaware of the types and benefits it offers. So, we hope that your article has been informative and helpful. Remember to choose nursing pads that suit your needs, and keep replacing them when they get soiled to avoid infection. Happy feeding!
Note From SuperBottoms: This article is written by Team SuperBottoms. SuperBottoms is a brand that offers eco-friendly and reusable cloth diapers for babies. These cloth diapers & all other products by SuperBottoms are designed to be safe, comfortable, and affordable for parents.