While expecting a child, even the thought of holding your newborn, playing with them, singing to them, and cuddling with them is a soothing one. But being a new parent is a lot more than just all these fun and happy times. There is a lot of preparation that goes behind taking care of a newborn. If you are in an Indian family living abroad in countries like the USA, Canada, Singapore, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman or practically any country of the world – when you are in a special phase of your life, like pregnancy or being a new mother, you crave for some familiar things to keep in touch with your roots and give the essence of your homeland to your new baby. Many of us either stock on those things or ask friends and relatives to bring them while coming from India.
Ideally, you must be ready with everything you need for your newborn baby for the next three months. However, in the first few weeks, while the mother is recovering and gaining the strength back after childbirth, and your baby is too little to communicate their needs, newborn baby shopping will be the last thing you will find time for. So, here is a quick reference checklist of all baby items you will need. Do not forget to download a printable checklist at the end of this article.
Newborn Essentials – Diapering
- ▪ Reusable Cloth Diapers – Diapers are something your baby will need from day 1. Babies pee and poop a lot in their initial few weeks; thus, investing in reusable cloth diapers is smart. It is economical, and it is sustainable too. You can start with Newborn UNO and graduate to Freesize UNO once your baby weighs 7 KGs. You can also refer to the diaper buying guide HERE to assess how many diapers you will need to invest in.
- Wet Wipes – It might not be possible to wash the baby's bum every time, especially during colder seasons. Reusable or biodegradable wet wipes are something you will need as constantly as a diaper change, which is very frequent in the initial months. Keep a few packs ready before your baby arrives.
- Reusable Langots – Langots that can soak up to one pee and have a dry feel layer to keep the baby dry is your best choice for giving your baby diaper-free time once or twice a day. SuperBottoms Dry Feel Langots have a unique SuperDryFeel Layer™ and gentle elastics on the thigh and back for the comfort of your baby.It has a TPU layer around the crotch which makes it semi-waterproof & mess-free.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is very nourishing for the skin, and it works as a natural antibiotic for the body. While giving your baby diaper-free time, you can apply a little coconut oil to keep the diaper area moisturized and nourished.
- Changing Mat – A comfortable and multiple-layered non-plastic changing mat is something you will need for every diaper change or dressing your baby up after a bath. You can also use these mats as massage mats.
- Diaper Caddy – An organizer where you can store all your fresh washed diapers, wipes, and everything that you need at arm's length can be a great help.
- Diaper Bag – Diapering will not always happen while the baby is comfortably lying on the bed. At times, you will need all your diapering essentials on the go. Whether you are out for a doctor's appointment or a walk, you will need all of the items mentioned above with you. Invest in a good quality diaper bag with spacious and multiple compartments to sort and carry all you need for your little one when out and about.
Newborn Essentials – Clothes and Wardrobe
- Comfortable Jhablas – Jhablas made of pure and comfortable fabric such as 100% Mulmul are the best choice for the first few weeks and months for your newborn baby. Lovingly and carefully designed SuperBottoms Jhablas are available in 6 print choices and can add to the comfort and vibrance of your newborn's wardrobe.
- Tops and Shorts – You will need an easy-to-wear and remove, suitable for delicate skin comfort clothing for your baby. SuperBottoms Tops and Shorts set is must-have newborn clothing. Made of 100% organic cotton and AZO-free dyes, they are perfect for a newborn's sensitive skin.
- Sleep Suits – Overalls and sleepsuits give a newborn baby snug and warm feeling while sleeping. Invest in a few that can last a few days, depending on your laundry cycle.
- Caps, Booties, and Mittens – Bodies of a newborn baby can not regulate the body temperature as perfectly as an adult's body. They usually catch a cold through open and uncovered palms, feet, and head. Thus it is recommended to make babies wear light cotton caps, mittens, and booties even if it is summertime.
- Knee Sleeves – Depending on the season, you would need something to keep the knees and elbows a little extra protected. Knee sleeves will serve as a leg warmer for your newborn and later as a knee sleeve once they start crawling and exploring the world.
- Sweaters – Yet another seasonal buy, you will need the sweaters and layers depending on the severity of cold in your region to keep them protected.
Newborn Essentials – Sleep and Nursery
- Baby Blanket – A baby blanket with multiple layers and soft fabrics like Cotton or Mulmul is what will keep your baby cozy, warm and comfortable. Choose ones with no polyester or itchy scratchy fabrics that might irritate your baby's skin.
- Swaddles – Watching your baby sleep wrapped up in a swaddle is the biggest joy. SuperBottoms Swaddles are as cozy as a grandma's snuggle! Available in traditional prints and many prints to choose from, these swaddles are made of 100% Mulmul and AZO-free dyes. Swaddling your baby will help them sleep better and feel snuggled up and cozy while sleeping.
- Crib – Not all parents opt for making their babies sleep in a crib. Some opt for a co-sleeping arrangement. Depending on your comfort and budget, if you decide to go for a crib, it is always better to get one and get it assembled and ready at least a few weeks before the due date to avoid any last-minute hassles of shopping.
- Mosquito Net – Depending on the size of the crib, keep 2 pairs of mosquito nets ready, as your baby will not be able to protect himself from those nasty mosquito bites. A net is a better choice as compared to topically applicable products for newborn babies.
- Baby Monitor – Even if the baby's sleeping arrangement is in the same room as you, you might want to invest in a baby monitor for the nap times when you would be busy with other work and not around the baby. Whether or not to go for a baby monitor depends on many factors such as family size, size of the house, availability of a nanny, etc.
- Mattress protector – Even with exclusively cloth diapered babies, occasion accidents while changing or giving a diaper-free time do happen. So invest in a good quality waterproof mattress protector for your baby's crib/bedding.
- Cradle – Yet another product that not all parents invest in. But a rocker or a cradle can mock the rocking motions that your baby feels while inside the womb, thus keeping them calm and helping them sleep better.
- Humidifier – Newborns are prone to frequent bouts of cough and cold. A good humidifier can help reduce congestion and other cold symptoms and help babies sleep uninterrupted and better.
Newborn Essentials – Bathing
- Bath Tub or Bather – Depending on which one you are confident and comfortable using, go for a good quality bathtub or bather to bathe your baby. Ensure you get one with no sharp or hard edges, and that doesn't have a risk of turning over easily.
- Baby Shampoo and Body Wash – There are millions of choices available in the market for the personal care products of babies. It is smart to go for ones that are safe for them as well as for the environment. Stock up on the quantity for at least the first 6 – 8 weeks so that you do not have to keep running back to the market.
- Body Cream and Moisturiser – Depending on the season your baby will arrive in, you will need a body cream and moisturizer for your baby. Ensure that you go for one that is free of harmful chemicals and harsh toxins.
- Hair and Massage Oil – Babies do not need a separate oil for their body and head. Read the article about Massaging Your Newborn Baby to know everything about how to massage a newborn and what oils to use in which season.
- Bath Towel – A soft towel, even a multipurpose Mulmul swaddle to wrap and carry your little one from the bathroom to the changing table or bed.
Newborn Essentials – Feeding
- Breast Pump – You might need a breast pump only if you need to express your milk and feed it to your baby. You might not want not to block a lot of money and go for a manual pump just as a backup and, if needed, rent or buy an electric one later, depending on the recommendation from your doctor.
- Nursing Pillow – A lot of new mothers complain about backaches after childbirth. This is mainly because of an uncomfortable feeding position they end up breastfeeding in. A nursing pillow gives proper support to the baby and will help you maintain a good posture for your back.
- Breast Pads – Leaky breasts are very common for new lactating moms. Get SuperBottoms Dry Feel Nursing Pads are reusable, waterproof, and will not let you feel uncomfortable with the wetness.
- Nursing Cover – Nursing in public is a beautiful feeling and experience, and there is nothing uncomfortable about it. But it is a personal choice, and in case you choose to go for a cover, a Stole Style Nursing Cover made of 100% Modal fabric is a perfect nursing partner in your journey.
- Feeding Bottles – One might not need feeding bottles for exclusively breastfed babies. But keeping a few spare just in case the baby needs to have expressed breast milk, or top feed might be a good idea.
- Steriliser – If your baby needs a bottle, you will need to ensure that they are properly sterilised to avoid any stomach bugs and infections. An electric sterilizer can be very helpful in such a situation.
- Burp Cloths – Reflux and throwing up are very common in newborn kids. You will need a fresh burp cloth after every feed to burp your baby at times. Thus keeping a few ready before their arrival is a good idea.
Newborn Essentials – Health and Medical Care
- Nebuliser – A nebuliser is an equipment that converts liquid into a fine mist. As it is difficult for babies to consume medication orally, a nebulizer is a great way to ensure that medication for cold and congestion readhes directly to the lungs through respiration. In addition, as young babies are more prone to frequent coughs and colds, a nebulizer can be a worthy investment.
- Digital Thermometer – If your baby is warm and under the weather, it is better to know their body temperature than wonder if they have a fever. A digital thermometer can also be of great help if you need to report to their peditrititians over a call.
- Medicine Dropper – It will make your life easier to have a medicine dropper to measure and feed them the medicine without creating a mess.
- Nail Clipper – Many babies are born with longer nails, and they can scratch and harm themselves. Keep wooden or other safe baby nail clippers ready before their arrival.
Newborn Essentials – Travelling
- Car Seat – Although having a car seat in some countries is a pre-requisite while checking out of the hospital after childbirth. We do not have any such legal rule in India, but experts always advise us to let kids be in their infant car seat instead of arms or lap, as a car seat is much safer in case of accidents or even bumpy roads. Plus, it adds to the comfort of parents for longer commutes and travel.
- Ergonomic Baby Carrier – While traveling and on the go, you need your hands to yourself. At times for flight check-ins, for eating, for handling baggage, or even for shopping. An ergonomic baby carrier supports the baby's back and maintains a natural M shape sitting posture.
- Stroller – If carrying your baby in a carrier or arms is not feasible and comfortable for a longer period, or you have twins or multiple kids, a stroller comes in handy to help your baby sit or lie down peacefully and enjoy the surrounding. Ensure you go for one that is tested for safety, comfortable and ergonomic.
- Diaper Bag – Among essentials for newborn baby, a diaper bag is essential for diapering and a must for travelers. Carrying all you need for diapering, toiletries, feeding essentials, etc., in a diaper bag makes it easy and organized while on the go.
- Waterproof Cloth Bag / Wetbag – For exclusively cloth diapered babies, cloth diapering doesn't have to stop even while traveling. SuperBottoms Waterproof Cloth Bag is a must for carrying all the soiled diapers until you have access to laundry. It will ensure that the smell or dripping water does not come out and spoil other clothes.
- Multipurpose Organiser – SuperBottoms Multipurpose Organiser with tie-on loops on the top can be an amazing journey essential for you and your baby. A simple yet effective storage solution that can be tied to any corner inside the car is a perfect way to keep your baby's clothes, diapers, books, toys, and everything you need within seconds ready!
With changing times, many things get added or removed from the essential items for newborn baby. For instance, in this world pandemic situation, adding sanitizer to the list of shopping items is a must.
You can download an easy reference printable checklist HERE for all you need for your newborn! Happy shopping!
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS – Hello mommies from across the globe! Our team at SuperBottoms always strive to bring you the best quality products thoughtfully designed and made by parents, for parents! So no matter where you live – a cold country or a hot and humid country – anywhere from India to Singapore, the USA, Canada, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, or Bahrain, the quality of all products of SuperBottoms is uncompromised and suits the delicate skin of newborn babies & new mothers equally!