Genetically, the skin of each ethnicity is different from the others, and thus if there is a change in the climate or geography, certain things need to be kept in mind. It is anyways difficult living in and raising a child in a new or foreign country, and to top it, if it is a hot and humid country that leads to baby skin allergies and baby skin rash to your little one's delicate skin, it can be a difficult situation.
So, if you are an Indian parent living in Gulf countries such as UAE, Qatar, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, etc., this article will help you understand skin allergies in babies and what are some potential skin allergy home remedies.
Baby skin is more sensitive and prone to develop allergies and rashes than the skin of an adult. But unlike adults, babies cannot tolerate the pain and irritation. Baby skin allergies and toddler allergies are not uncommon, and scratching the rash can sometimes infect it and worsen it.
Thus, parents and caregivers need to identify the symptoms and causes of baby skin allergies and rashes to prevent and cure them on priority. But first, let us try to understand what skin allergies in babies are.
What are Baby Skin Allergies?
Baby skin allergies or newborn baby skin rash are usually a result of an allergen. When something touches a baby's skin, something a baby consumes orally, or at times is ever around the baby; it can cause an inflammatory response on the skin. This results in a rash, hive, eczema, or other severe forms of allergic reactions.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
What Can Cause Rashes or Baby Skin Allergy?
Any of the following can cause a baby skin rash or baby skin allergies:
• Pre-existing Baby Skin Conditions: Rashes and hives can frequently appear in kids with pre-existing skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, etc.
• Drool: Babies drool a lot when they are teething. Constant wiping of the chin and skin around the lips can lead to small red bumps, which look like an allergy but are caused by friction and are minor rashes.
• Food Allergens: Some babies are intolerant to food items like lactose, nuts, fish, etc. Consuming that can result in a hive or a skin allergic reaction.
• Personal Care Product: Chemicals and fragrances present in certain skincare products, laundry detergents, soaps, and shampoos can also lead to baby skin rash and skin allergies in babies with sensitive skin.
• Fabrics: Making babies wear synthetic and polyester can also lead to an allergic reaction and rash on the baby's skin. However, kids' underwear made of Modal or Cotton, such as SuperBottoms Kids Underwear, comfort wear, and newborn Jhablas made of soft fabrics such as Mulmul cotton such as comfort wear range by SuperBottoms can avoid such allergies and rashes.
• Heat and Friction: One might notice tiny bumps and red rashes on baby skin in the summers. These are caused by heat and clothes rubbing the baby's skin and creating friction.
• Dampness: A damp diaper or nappy can also cause a nappy rash for babies. This is not an allergy but a rash caused due to moisture in the diaper area. Choosing cloth diapers such as SuperBottoms UNO can save your little one from the horror of these nasty diaper rashes.
Types Of Skin Allergies In Babies
The most common types of reactions of baby skin allergies include the following –
1. Diaper Rash – one of the most common types of skin rash or allergy. It is caused due to dampness in the diaper area or sometimes due to constant wiping and cleaning if the baby has diarrhea.
2. Eczema - leads to dry, flaky skin, redness, and itching on the face, behind the knees, or arms.
3. Hives – generally an allergic reaction to some medication or food; hives are itchy raised welts on the skin.
4. Drool Rash – teething babies experience this around their lips, chin, neck, and chest. They are caused because of constant drooling and wiping off the drool.
5. Cradle Cap - a harmless and easy-to-treat thick and flaky dandruff-like fungus that develops on the scalp of young babies.
6. Prickly Heat – is usually caused in summer when heat is trapped inside the body and looks like small red bumps.
7. Milia – A viral skin infection, Milia looks like small white or pink bumps on the skin. They disappear independently and do not itch or leave any scars once they are gone.
Food Related Baby Skin Allergy
A more severe kind of skin allergy in babies, which is not very common, is food-related allergies. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, about 6% of kids under 2 have food allergies. The most likely food items to which kids might have an allergy are dairy, fish, and nuts.
The symptoms of food allergies would include skin reactions such as hives and itching or respiratory and intestinal symptoms such as vomiting, coughing, loose motions, or even blood in the stool. If your baby shows any such signs, immediately consult a doctor.
When to See a Doctor
Most allergies and baby skin rashes can easily be treated at home. But it is not always safe to assume so. Therefore, it is advised to see a pediatrician to avoid your baby's allergy rash worsening in some cases, such as –
As mentioned above, if you see symptoms of food-related allergy
• If a fever accompanies the rash
• If the rash is spreading to other areas
• If the inflammation persists for more than a week
Baby Skin Allergy Treatment
One can take steps to avoid painful and irritating rashes leading to baby skin allergy treatment. Here are some simple baby skin allergies remedies and tips to prevent allergies.
▪ Frequent Diaper Changes
Leaving a full and damp diaper and prolonged contact with poo or pee can lead to a diaper rash. Ensure you change the baby's diaper frequently to avoid such a situation.
▪ Keeping the Skin Clean and Dry
Between diaper changes, give your baby a little diaper-free time to let the skin air dry. This little trick helps in avoiding diaper rashes.
▪ Irritant-Free Personal Care Products
Products containing harmful chemicals, fragrances, fillers, etc., can irritate baby skin. If your baby is allergic to any of those, it can lead to an allergic reaction. Choose products free of harmful chemicals, such as Laundry Sheets by SuperBottoms.
▪ Breathable Fabrics & Weather-appropriate clothing
Uncomfortable clothing or fabrics that trap summer heat can also lead to heat rashes. Make your babies wear comfortable clothing made of cotton, Modal, Mulmul, etc. Check out the comfort wear range by SuperBottoms with top and short sets made of 100% cotton & Mulmul Jhablas for newborn babies.
Almost every child experiences a rash or allergy situation at least once. But if proper precautions are taken, this can be avoided. For example, the most common form of a rash – the diaper rash, can be avoided if your baby is in cloth diapers such as SuperBottoms UNO.
The Superbottoms blog on Skin Allergies in Babies provides a comprehensive guide for parents to understand the causes of skin allergies in babies and how to prevent them. The blog discusses the different types of baby skin allergies that can affect babies, including eczema, contact dermatitis, and heat rash, and highlights the common triggers for these allergies.
It also reinforces the ethos of the brand by focusing on eco-friendly and sustainable baby products that act as natural and non-toxic remedies for skin allergies. Overall, the blog is a valuable resource for parents looking to protect their baby's delicate skin and prevent skin allergies. It showcases the brand's commitment to promoting healthy and sustainable parenting practices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most common causes of skin allergies in babies?
A: The most common causes of skin allergies in babies include exposure to harsh chemicals, environmental allergens, certain types of fabrics, and certain foods.
How can I prevent my baby from developing skin allergies?
A: You can prevent skin allergies in babies by keeping their skin clean, moisturized, and well-hydrated. Use gentle and natural skin care products, avoid synthetic fabrics, and maintain a healthy diet.
Can cloth diapers cause skin allergies in babies?
A: Reusable Cloth diapers do not usually cause skin allergies in babies, but it is essential to choose a suitable fabric and ensure proper cleaning and care to prevent any irritations.
Are natural remedies effective in treating skin allergies in babies?
A: Yes, natural remedies such as coconut oil, oatmeal, and aloe vera can effectively treat mild skin allergies in babies. However, it is essential to consult a pediatrician before using new remedies on your baby's skin.