Pregnancy is a beautiful journey to motherhood, which brings along joy and a lot of responsibilities. As a mother-to-be, you already want the best for your child, and the first step in ensuring that is making healthy eating habits. After all, your food choices impact the development of your little one.
The food you eat nourishes your baby and enables them to grow through each trimester of pregnancy. So, it is essential to start your day with a healthy breakfast. In addition, eating a healthy breakfast can relieve morning sickness since food is one strategy to combat nausea.
But what constitutes the best breakfast for pregnant women? Keep reading further to learn about foods to eat and some easy recipes you can try!
Foods that Pregnant Women Should Include in Breakfast
For pregnant women eating the right food is of utmost importance. The foods you eat must contain essential nutrients that help you stay energetic while nourishing your baby. So here are some of the nutrient-rich pregnancy superfoods which you include in your breakfast:
▪ Protein-Rich Foods
Proteins help to build DNA, tissues, and muscles. As babies develop, they need proteins for cell differentiation and overall growth. Protein-rich foods include yogurt, eggs, milk, paneer, sprouts, lentils, nuts, and cheese.
▪ Calcium-Rich Foods
Calcium is the building block for strong bones and teeth. You and your newborn baby both need this nutrient for healthy bones. Some calcium-rich foods that are the best breakfast for pregnant women include - paneer, cheese, green leafy vegetables, almonds, sesame seeds, milk, and yogurt.
▪ Fiber-Rich Foods
Constipation, bloatedness, and indigestion are some classic pregnancy symptoms that can make you feel inconvenient. Although these symptoms cannot be avoided, you can get some relief by consuming fiber-rich foods in your diet.
Some of the best breakfasts for pregnant women which are rich in fiber include - bananas, chia seeds, broccoli, sweet corn, apples, pears, and oats.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
▪ Whole Grains
Whole grains are a rich source of Vitamin-B complex, dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and minerals like iron, selenium and magnesium. These essential nutrients are vital for your baby’s overall growth and development. Some of the whole grains you can include in your breakfast include -bulgur wheat, buckwheat, barley, millets, and brown rice.
▪ Iron and Folate-Rich Foods
Iron is one of the essential nutrients for you and your baby during pregnancy. As a pregnant woman, you need extra iron to make more blood for yourself and the baby. Moreover, folate is crucial for developing the fetal brain and spinal cord. Hence, it is essential to include iron-rich foods such as spinach, kale, asparagus, lentils, and avocado.
▪ Safety Tips for Breakfast for Pregnant Women
Here are some basic yet essential safety tips you must follow while eating your breakfast during pregnancy -
▪ Consume only fresh foods
Fresh foods are very nutritious and consuming freshly cooked dishes will provide all the necessary nutrients to your body and your baby. However, consuming expired food sitting in your fridge for a couple of days can cause food poisoning and may also have lost its nutrients.
▪ Thoroughly wash your hands before each meal
Good hygiene practice is essential for mom-to-be to avoid getting any infection that can harm you and your baby. So always wash your hands before each meal, and use a sanitiser if needed.
▪ Wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly
Most fruits and vegetables are laden with dirt, germs, and pesticides. So it is essential to wash them thoroughly before consuming them. Vegetables are cooked after they are cleaned, so the chances of germs entering your body are lower. But you eat fruits in raw form, so it is essential to wash them thoroughly before consuming them.
Healthy and Easy Recipes for Breakfast for Pregnant Women
We are sharing below some of the easy and healthy breakfast recipes that you can try your hand at -
1. Moong Dal Dosa
If you are looking for a healthy Indian breakfast recipe, this moong dal dosa is an ideal choice. It is filling and super nutritious!
- - split green gram dal - 1 cup
- - Parboiled rice - 1 cup
- - Salt to taste
- - Oil
Method of Preparation
- - Soak the parboiled rice and dal for 3 hours.
- - Drain the rice and dal and grind it in a blender with a little bit of water to make a smooth and moderately thick batter.
- - Transfer the batter in a bowl and keep it for fermentation overnight.
- - The following day, add some salt to the batter and mix well
- - Now take a non-stick pan and sprinkle some water on it.
- - In a circular motion spread the batter in a pan to make dosa.
- - Add a few drops of oil around the edges of the dosa, and let it cook on a medium flame until it turns golden brown and crisp
- - Flip it over to cook the other side for a few more seconds
- - Fold it in a half and transfer it to a plate.
2. Bananas and Dates Shake
This sake is an ideal breakfast during the first trimester of pregnancy when you are suffering from morning sickness. This healthy shake is super easy to make, just follow the instructions below -
- - Dates - ¼ cup
- - Banana - ½
- - Milk - 1 cup
- - Ice cubes - 4 to 5
Method of Preparation
- - Soak some dates in warm milk for 4-5 minutes.
- - Blend the dates, milk, banana, and ice cubes in a blender to make a smooth milkshake
- - Serve it cold
1. Make Healthy: The first step toward parenting is establishing healthy eating habits, as food choices can significantly impact your child's growth.
2. Proteins are a must: Proteins help to produce DNA, tissues, and muscles, so eat a protein-rich diet to enhance the baby's overall growth.
3. Ensure Safety: To avoid infection, constantly consume only fresh food while following proper hygiene practises during your pregnancy.
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS
Hola Mommies! We at SuperBottoms always strive to bring you the best quality products that are thoughtfully designed and made by parents, for parents! So no matter where you live – a cold country or a hot and humid country – anywhere from India to the USA, Canada, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, or Bahrain, the quality of SuperBottoms is uncompromised and suits the delicate skin of newborn babies & new mothers!