Parenting is more than just nurturing your child. It involves taking crucial decisions on behalf of your child until they are old enough to make their own choices. And one of the most challenging decisions as parents of newborn babies that you have to make is choosing the right baby care essentials. To be specific Guide on Reusable Diapers, deciding on what diaper to choose for your newborn is a daunting task.
A newborn requires at least 6-12 diaper changes daily, at least for the first few weeks after birth. (1). So for those looking for a sustainable, and budget-friendly option, reusable diapers or cloth nappies is an ideal choice. Not only are they environmentally friendly but also are highly absorbent and provide the utmost comfort to babies.
However, using cloth diapers for the first time can be overwhelming, if there is no guidance for the same. Hence, we have compiled this ultimate guide which highlights all that you need to Guide on Reusable Diapers. From how to use resuabal diapers, to their different types available in the market, and a lot more! Find answers to all your questions, so as to start your reusable diaper journey.
What are Reusable Diapers
Before we dive deeper, let us understand what exactly are reusable diapers, also known as cloth diapers. Many believe cloth diapers to be cut pieces of cloth folded together and tied around the baby’s bum with pins. However, those were ancient or traditional cloth diapers, which have now been replaced by modernized ones.
These modern reusable diapers are designed to offer the features of disposable diapers and benefits of the ancient cloth diapers. reusable diapers are made of natural fibers such as cotton, hemp, and bamboo (2). Typically reusable diapers come with a waterproof outer layer and an inner, highly absorbent layer. They are available in different prints, patterns, and sizes. So let us understand the different types of cloth diapers available in the market.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts and deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
Different Types of Reusable Diapers
Before we get to Guide on Reusable Diapers, let us briefly tell you about the different types of these diapers available in the market -
1. Flats Reusable Diapers - These are the most basic cloth diapers which come as a single layered piece of fabric typically made of cotton. To use this diaper, you need to fold it in various ways in order to create a multi-layered diaper-like shape. You must then secure the diaper with pins or clips to ensure no leakage.
2. Pre-Folds Reusable Diapers - Similar to folds, this reusable diaper is pre-folded into three distinct panels. And the middle panel is the most absorbent of them all. However, pre-folds too require safety pins or clips to secure and an additional diaper cover to prevent leaks.
3. Pocket Reusable Diapers - If you do not wish to fold the diapers, then pocket reusable diapers are your ideal choice. These diapers, as the name suggests, come with a pocket inside which must be stuffed with an absorbent insert to prevent leaks. However, these diapers are ready to be used with elastic leg holes, snaps, and a waterproof outer layer.
4. All-in-One Reusable Diapers (AIO) - Making diaper changes as easy as disposable diapers, AIOs come with an absorbent pad attached to a waterproof cover. Also, they come with adjustable snaps velcros, hooks, or loops which help to easily fasten at the hips. And the bonus here is that these diapers do not need any extra accessories or inserts.
If you are looking for a premium quality yet easy on-the-pocket, AIO reusable diaper, SuperBottoms UNO is an ideal choice. They are available in different patterns, and prints, and also comes with adjustable snaps and made of 100% cotton fabric.
Pro tip: If you baby is a heavy-wetter, buying SuperBottoms UNO Booster pads or inserts for your AIOs is an ideal choice to ensure your baby gets a good night sleep without any disturbance!
All-in-Two Reusable Diapers (AI2)
These come in two pieces - inserts and covers. AI2 reusable diapers are similar to pocket diapers, except that the inserts are usually snapped inside the diaper instead of outside. Thus, these diapers are easy to remove and replace, making diaper changing much easier.
Hybrid Reusable Diapers
These diapers come with an outer reusable cover with a disposable insert on the inside. Hence, once he disposable layer on the inside is soiled, all you need to do is toss it in the trash, and replace it with a new insert!
Benefits of Reusable Diapers
Below are some of the benefits of using reusable cloth diapers -
1. Easy on the pocket - Reusable diapers as the name suggests can be washed and reused multiple times. Hence, unlike disposable diapers, you do not need to hoard dozens of diapers at the same time. You can just buy and few and reuse them, and so it does not pinch your pocket.
2. Eco-friendly - Eco-friendly -Disposable diapers are made of harsh chemicals, and materials which take years to degreed, causing environmental pollution. In short, choosing baby cloth diapers can reduce the carbon footprint of your baby and make a massive environmental difference.
3. No harsh chemicals - Cloth diapers are free from chemicals or harmful toxins, making them entirely safe for babies, unlike disposable diapers.
4. Easy to potty train - If your child has been using cloth diapers, they are more aware of feeling wet when their diaper is soiled. This feeling can be used as an incentive to get your child ready for potty training at an early age.
5. Reduces diaper rash - Diaper rashes are inevitable, but can be reduced to a large extent by choosing reusable diapers. Since these are free from harmful chemicals and are made of natural fibre, reusable diapers are soft and gentle on a baby’s delicate skin.
How to Use Reusable Diapers?
If you choose the AIO or AI2 or for that matter hybrid reusable diapers, using them becomes easy. This is because they come with adjustable snaps and velcro closures. So all you need to do is close the tabs before throwing them into SuperBottoms waterproof cloth bag, only to be washed later.
Moreover, most one-size cloth diapers come with a snap-down rise, which allows you to adjust the diapers around the waistline, and lengthwise depending on your baby’s build.
With a clear understanding of how to use reusable diapers and everything you need to know about this type of diaper, we believe you are good to start the cloth nappy journey!