Cloth diapering has become increasingly popular among Indian parents as a more eco-friendly and cost-effective alternative to disposable diapers. However, it's essential to properly care for and maintain cloth diapers for newborn babies to ensure they last as long as possible and provide the best possible experience for both baby and caregiver.
In this blog, we'll provide tips and guidance on how to care for your Superbottoms reusable cloth diaper, including washing and drying techniques, storage and organization, and troubleshooting common issues. By following these best practices, you can extend the life of your cloth diapers, save money in the long run, and help reduce your environmental impact.
Cloth Diapering India
Cloth diapers for newborn babies have become increasingly popular among Indian parents, who are looking for more eco-friendly and cost-effective alternatives to disposable diapers. Superbottoms is one of the leading cloth diapers brands in India, known for its high-quality products and commitment to sustainability.
If you're new to cloth diapering, it can initially seem overwhelming. But with the correct information and guidance, it can be an excellent choice for both baby and caregiver. Here's what you need to know about cloth diapers for newborns in India and how Superbottoms can help.
Why Choose Cloth Diapers?
There are several reasons why parents in India are turning to cloth diapers for newborn babies:
Disposable diapers are a significant contributor to landfill waste. In India, it's estimated that over 1.5 billion disposable diapers are used each year, which translates to a substantial amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
Newborn cloth diapers, on the other hand, are reusable and can be washed and reused many times before they need to be replaced. This means that every cloth diaper for newborns can replace hundreds of disposable diapers over its lifetime, reducing the amount of waste generated. In addition, cloth diapers are often made from natural materials like cotton, bamboo, or hemp, which are biodegradable and don't contribute to the environmental harm caused by plastics.
Another eco-friendly aspect of baby cloth diapers is that they can be used for multiple children or even resold, further extending their lifespan and reducing waste. Many cloth diaper brands in India, like Superbottoms, use eco-friendly packaging and shipping materials to reduce their impact on the environment further.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
While it's true that cloth diapers require an initial investment, they can save parents a significant amount of money in the long run. In India, the cost of disposable diapers can vary depending on the brand and quality, but on average, a pack of 20 disposable diapers can cost around Rs. 300-400. A child can easily use up to 6-8 diapers per day, which can add up to a monthly expense of Rs. 2,000-2,500 or more, depending on the brand and frequency of use.
For example, Superbottoms free size UNO can be used for over 300+ washes, which means a set of 10-11 newborn cloth diapers can last for your child's entire diapering journey, depending on the frequency of use. This can save parents a significant amount of money over the long term, especially if they have multiple children or plan to use cloth diapers for an extended period of time.
3. Healthier for baby
Cloth diapers are made of natural materials like cotton, bamboo, or hemp, which are gentle and soft on a baby's delicate skin. They are also breathable, which helps prevent diaper rash and other skin irritations caused by the prolonged use of disposable diapers.
By using a newborn cloth diaper, parents in India can avoid conditions such as hip dysplasia as cloth diapers put babies' legs in a more open position, which is better for growth and development. Cloth diapers are also less likely to cause diaper rash and other skin problems because they are breathable and don't trap moisture against the skin like some disposable diapers can.
How To Care For Cloth Diapers
If you've decided to use a newborn cloth diaper for your baby, congratulations! You're making a good choice for your baby and the environment. However, cloth diapers for newborns require some extra effort compared to disposables. Here are some tips to help you care for your cloth diapers and ensure they last as long as possible.
1. Prepping your cloth diapers
Before you start your cloth diapering journey, you need to prep them. This involves washing them several times to remove any manufacturing residue and increase their absorbency. Most cloth diaper brands like SuperBottoms will provide specific instructions on how to prep their diapers, so make sure to follow them carefully.
2. Storing your cloth diapers
Once your cloth diapers are prepped, you must figure out where and how to store them. It's essential to keep them dry and well-ventilated to prevent mold and mildew. Some options for storing cloth diapers include:
• Hanging wet bags: These are bags that you can hang on a doorknob or hook to store dirty cloth diapers until wash day. SuperBottoms Multipurpose Organiser is a simple and practical storage solution for organizing your things. Made up of 100% cotton, it has a solid base and two external pockets with two tie-on loops at the top that allows for customized usage based on your needs.
• Diaper pails: These are special pails with a lid that seals in odors and moisture. You can use a reusable liner or a disposable liner inside the pail to make cleanup easier.
• Dry pail method: This involves storing dirty cloth diapers in an open container until wash day.
3. Washing your cloth diapers
Washing cloth diapers is one of the most important aspects of caring for them. Here are some tips to help you clean them effectively:
• Rinse off any poop: If your baby has solid poop, you'll need to rinse it off the diaper before putting it in the wash. You can use a diaper sprayer or dunk the diaper in the toilet and swish it around.
• Use a suitable detergent: Choose specifically formulated cloth diapers. Avoid fabric softeners, which can coat the fibers and decrease absorbency.
Be sure to use a cloth diaper-friendly detergent like SuperBottoms Super Laundry Sheets that dissolves in water almost magically and leaves no residue. As a result, the fabrics, cloth diapers, and other essentials cleaned with it will not irritate or create allergies to your baby's delicate skin.
• Wash in hot water: Use hot water to kill bacteria and ensure a thorough cleaning. Most cloth diapers can be washed on a regular or heavy cycle.
• Dry properly: Hang your cloth diapers to dry or use a dryer on a low heat setting. Avoid high heat, as it can damage the fabrics.
4. Troubleshooting common issues
Even with proper care, you may encounter issues with your cloth diapers. Here are some common problems and how to solve them:
• Leaking: This can be caused by a poor fit or inadequate absorbency. Make sure your diaper is snug but not too tight, and consider adding an extra insert or booster for more absorbency.
• Odors: If your cloth diapers smell funky, try stripping them. This involves washing them several times with hot water and no detergent to remove any buildup or residue.
• Stains: Sunning your cloth diapers can help remove stains. Lay them out in the sun for a few hours, and the UV rays will naturally bleach out any discoloration.
Caring for cloth diapers for newborn babies requires extra effort, but it's well worth it for the benefits they provide. With proper care, your newborn cloth diaper can last for years and save you money in the long run.
3 SuperBottoms Essentials That Can Be Paired With Cloth Diapers For Newborns
Here are five Superbottoms essentials that can be paired with cloth diapers for newborns:
1. Superbottoms Organic Cotton Wipes: Superbottoms Organic Cotton Wipes are a great addition to your cloth diapering routine. Made with 100% organic cotton, they are gentle and soft on your baby's skin. They are also reusable and can be washed along with your cloth diapers, making them an eco-friendly choice.
2. SuperBottoms Booster Pads: For heavy wet newborns, the SuperBottoms Booster pads can be added to the diaper for extra absorbency. This booster consists of multiple layers of organic cotton, hemp, and microfiber, providing enhanced absorbency without compromising on the comfort of your little one.
3. SuperBottoms Swaddle Wraps: Swaddling is a common practice for newborns, and SuperBottoms offers Dry Feel Swaddle Wraps that are soft and breathable. These swaddles are made from 100% organic cotton and can be used for swaddling, burping, nursing covers, and more. They come in various attractive prints and are gentle on your baby's delicate skin.
In conclusion, cloth diapering in India is a cost-effective and eco-friendly option for parents. To ensure the longevity of your cloth diapers, it is essential to follow proper care and maintenance guidelines. This includes washing the diapers with a cloth diaper-safe detergent, avoiding fabric softeners and bleach, and drying them in the sun. It is also essential to check the diapers regularly for any signs of wear and tear and to replace them as needed. By taking care of your cloth diapers properly, you can extend their lifespan and continue to reap the benefits of cloth diapering in India for your baby and the environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often should I wash my newborn cloth diaper?
A: It is recommended to wash your cloth diapers every 1-2 days, depending on the frequency of use. This helps prevent bacteria build-up and keeps your diapers clean and fresh.
Q: Can I use regular detergent to wash my cloth diapers for newborn baby?
A: No, regular detergents can damage the fabric and decrease the absorbency of your reusable cloth diapers. It is essential to use a cloth diaper-safe detergent free of additives, enzymes, and fabric softeners.
Q: How do I get rid of stains on my cloth diapers?
A: To remove stains on your cloth diapers, try sunning them or using a stain remover specifically designed for cloth diapers. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as they can damage the fabric and decrease the lifespan of your diapers.
Q: Can I use a dryer to dry my newborn cloth diaper?
A: Yes, you can use a dryer to dry your cloth diapers, but it is recommended to air-dry them in the sun whenever possible. High heat can damage the fabric and elastic and reduce the lifespan of your diapers over time. If you do use a dryer, use a low-heat setting and avoid using dryer sheets or fabric softeners.