Typically, an infant’s poop is yellow or mustard in color. But sometimes, you might notice different variations in the color of the poop. It might indicate a health concern if you ever notice green baby poop or anything unusual in your baby’s poop color, consistency, or texture. Although, an occasional green poop in infants is normal and nothing to be worried about. But if this continues for more than a few poops, it might indicate the need to visit your baby’s pediatrician. This article will discuss what causes poop to green color and home remedies to stop green baby poop:-
WHAT CAUSES CHANGES IN INFANT POOP COLOR
The following reasons can cause green poop in babies:
Imbalance Between Hindmilk & Foremilk- If your newborn baby has smaller nursing sessions, or you are switching the breasts quickly, before at least 20 minutes per breast, your baby will consume more high-sugar foremilk and less high-fat hindmilk. This can result in foamy, frothy, and green poop in infants.
Iron Supplements– If your infant is consuming formula feed in combination with breastfeeding or is exclusively on formula feed, the iron content in the formula milk can make the poop to be green. The green poop baby is experiencing is nothing to be worried about.
Diarrhoea Or Irritable Bowel– If your baby has an irritable bowel that has resulted in mild diarrhea, the mucus present in the poop can also cause green color.
Stomach Infection– Bacterial contamination from the bottle, clothing, toys etc can cause stomach infection and green poop in infants. Other symptoms such as gas, sluggishness, the baby's reduced activity level, or even fever will occur in this scenario. To avoid such situations, always ensure that all of your baby care items such as nursing pads, bottles, and cloth diapers, are thoroughly washed and cleaned before use.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are live till stocks last!
– In adults, pancreatitis can be caused and triggered by several reasons. But when it comes to infants, at times, some kids have it due to genetics. Your baby will also experience vomiting, rapid heart rate, and swollen abdomen if it is a case of pancreatitis.
Metabolism Disorder– If your baby is intolerant to milk and is on top feed, they can develop a metabolism disorder that can cause foamy and green poop in infants.
HOW TO STOP GREEN POOP IN BABY'S HOME REMEDIES
If you are wondering how to stop green poop in babies, you first need to diagnose the reason for this. If it is a non-medical reason and not due to a medical condition or infection, you may want to try some simple home remedies. But in case your baby has an infection, it is advised not to try any home remedies and immediately see a doctor and let them take it from there.
- -If the green poop is caused due to imbalance between hindmilk and foremilk, make sure that you empty a breast while feeding before moving on to another breast. Also, make sure you feed from one breast for at least 20 minutes, which is ideal for consuming a perfect balance of foremilk and hindmilk for a baby’s digestion and growth.
- -If your child is on iron-fortified formula milk or iron supplements, green poop is due to the iron content in their feed, and in this case, there is nothing to worry about. You do not need to do any remedy to stop green and harder poop.
- -Look out for signs of dehydration. Babies do not need to consume water till the age of six months. Breast milk is enough to keep them hydrated. But if you feel they are dehydrated, do not try to treat this at home, and speak to your pediatrician for proper treatment.
- -Protect your babies from the harsh winters with baby blankets, as they are susceptible to illnesses such as colds, flu, and diarrhea. Inform your doctor of your observations, poop count, poop color, and other symptoms.
PREVENTING GREEN POOP IN BABIES
Prevention is always better than curing a disease. For example, you cannot prevent the color of the poop, but if it is caused by infection, you can control the cause of infection.
If your baby is consuming expressed milk or formula milk using bottles, please ensure that the bottles are cleaned and sterilized properly before every feed. The primary cause of stomach infection in babies bottles.
Also, ensure that you keep cleaning the hands of your babies regularly. Babies tend to put their thumb or hand in their mouth, and if not clean can result in infection. The same applies to their waterproof cloth bibs, and blankets, comforters, any top-wear with a collar. Make sure that their clothes are changed into washed fresh from time to time.
WHEN TO CONSULT A DOCTOR FOR POOP GREEN COLOR IN INFANTS
Green poop in infants usually is nothing to be worried about. However, if your baby is experiencing any of the following along with green poop, you should immediately see your pediatrician for a physical check-up:
- -If your baby has fewer wet diapers and other signs of dehydration such as irritation, dry mouth and lips and lack of tears.
- -If your baby is taking feeds less often and in lesser quantities than usual.
- -If green poop is accompanied by blood.
- -If they have a fever of more than 100 degrees.
- -They have diarrhoea that lasts for more than two days.
Consult your pediatrician at every green poop instance. But as a parent, you know and understand your baby the best, so if you notice any signs of distress or the symptoms mentioned in the section above, go with your gut feeling and let the doctor decide the next course of action.
1. Green Poop in Infants - Noticing a different variation in the color of the poop is sometimes normal
2. Cleaningness - Babies have a habit of putting their thumb or hand in their mouth, which if not clean can result in infection, so make sure that whatever you put on your baby
3. Seek Expert Advice - Consult your pediatrician if you notice any green poop.
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS
Hello, all you new parents from around the world. Despite the fact that SuperBottoms is an Indian company, the products developed by a group of parents are suitable for children worldwide. Whether you live in Canada, Kuwait, the United States, Qatar, Hawaii, Bahrain, Armenia, the United Arab Emirates, or the Philippines, SuperBottoms is a must-have for you and your child!