When our babies are younger, we keep track of everything related to them, right? The feeding frequency, how often and for how long they nap, the pee count, and the poop count. Any anomaly in the regular patterns is the only way to know if something needs attention, as babies are too young to communicate their pain or discomfort directly.
This also applies to how frequently your baby poops and the consistency of the poop, as constipation in babies can be painful and irritating for them. This article will help you understand what causes constipation in babies and how to relieve it quickly.
What is constipation in babies?
Understanding what a normal poop and pooping pattern in babies are normal normal poop and pooping pattern in babies will also help you know constipation in babies.
Breastfed babies can pass poop as frequently as after every feed or as infrequently as once a week. Breast milk doesn’t produce much digestive waste that a baby needs to pass down as poop. On the other hand, formula-fed babies usually poop once a day or once every two days. This is because the poop of a baby - still not on solids - is soft when everything is normal.
If the poop frequency you have observed in your baby changes suddenly, gaps between poops are longer, and the poop is more complicated than usual, this could be a sign that your baby is struggling to pass the poop. They will also show signs of pain or cries; this can mean your baby is constipated.
Limited Offers Ending Sooner - BUY NOW
Now or never offers live on the SuperBottoms website. Please take advantage of the never-before discounts & deals on our offer page! Stock up on the bestselling UNO diapers, accessories & other popular SuperBottoms baby and mom products now available in deals and discounts.
HURRY, the deals are liveife till stocks last!
How to tell if your baby is constipated?
Here are the signs and symptoms of constipation in babies
1. The stool is hard, ball-shaped, or round like pallets
2. The baby’s belly is firm or tight
3. The baby is crying or irritated while passing poop
4. The frequency of bowel movements is less than normal
5. The baby is spitting up more than usual
What causes constipation in babies?
It is not shared or normal for babies who are not yet on semi-solids or solids to experience constipation, and even if they share it, it is usually temporary. However, switching to formula milk can cause constipation in babies. Sometimes, even the wrong proportion of hindmilk and foremilk in the case of breastfed babies can cause irregular bowels.
If you’re breastfeeding, your diet and changes in your food patterns can affect your baby's milk, which could also cause constipation in your baby.
When you stop breastfeeding or formula feeding alone and start your baby on solids or are in the transition phase, chances are that your baby could experience constipation or stomach issues. This should generally subside as they get used to their new diet pattern.
As your child ages, lack of fibre in their diet can cause constipation. Junk food is also a primary culprit for constipation in children. Just ensure their diet is a good mix of solids, liquids, and fibre and pay attention to their eating and pooping patterns at each new transition.
What Are Some Home Remedies for Constipation in babies?
As mentioned earlier, constipation in babies is usually a temporary condition. There are many over-the-counter or prescribed baby constipation medicines available. Still, the first and best step is to make necessary dietary changes to help relieve constipation, pain and discomfort for your little ones. So, if you are wondering how to treat constipation in babies, here are some remedies that can help you.
1. Once the baby transitions from breastmilk/formula milk to semi-solids and solids, offer them a few sips of water with and post meals.
2. A few sips of undiluted fruit juices such as apple, pear, or prune are rich in natural laxatives and can help relieve constipation in babies. Similarly, introducing fibre-rich fruits and veggies, such as pears, prunes, peas, carrots, etc., also helps.
3. Light stomach massages in a clockwise direction and moving legs in cycling motions while massaging the baby can help them pass the gas and poop, thereby relieving the pain caused by constipation.
4. BRAT diet, a well-known remedy for treating loose motions in kids, consists of Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Avoid these four if your baby is experiencing constipation.
5. The struggle to pass poop while constipated can make the baby’s body tense, which might result in them refusing to pass the poop altogether. Giving a warm bath to them or making them sit in a tub filled with warm water will relax them and help them pass the poop easily.
6. Breastfed babies are rarely constipated. But if they are, it might be linked to the mother’s diet or hydration level. Therefore, seeking medical help to change a mom’s diet is advised in such a case.
7. For older kids, who are over two years of age, a few drops of castor oil in warm milk also acts as a laxative & helps in getting rid of temporary constipation.
8. There are many other ‘Daadi maa ke nuke that a lot of elderly women swear by Remedies such as jaggery diluted in water, eating raisins that have been soaked in water overnight, fennel-soaked water, honey mixed with lukewarm water, date syrup mixed with warm milk work for a lot of people. None of these can cause any side effects, but if these do not help treat constipation immediately, it is better to seek medical help before it excruciates the child.
When should you seek medical help?
Although constipation is not a severe medical condition, it is better not to take a chance with their health when it comes to babies. For example, suppose the constipation is not getting treated with the baby mentioned above constipation remedies. The baby is experiencing blood in the poop, fever, vomiting, a swollen and tight belly for many days, loss of appetite, or lethargy. In that case, you should immediately consult your baby’s paediatrician.
Looking at a macro level picture regarding your baby’s health, ensuring that you introduce good food habits, avoid junk and seek proper medical attention in case of any severity will keep constipation away & your little one happy, active, healthy & playful.
MESSAGE FROM SUPERBOTTOMS
Hola Mommies! We at SuperBottoms always strive to bring you the best quality products that are thoughtfully designed and made by parents, for parents! So no matter where you live – a cold country or a hot and humid country – anywhere from India to the USA, Canada, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, or Bahrain, the quality of SuperBottoms is uncompromised and suits the delicate skin of newborn babies & new mothers!