Contributed by Suchitra Shetty from SuperBottoms Family community of parents.
Before we share the complete baby recipe, let’s read what she has to say about coming upon this recipe -
“I was always given ready-made cereals as a child because my mother was a working mom. She never had the opportunity to create something herself and feed it to me.
So I decided to introduce something more delicious and more nutritious for my munchkin.
When Adhrit, my 5-year-old little boy, had turned 6 months old, it was time to introduce him to solids. So I started with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green peas, carrots, dal, Khichdi, etc., but my baby always disliked it all & it was difficult to feed him even a single spoon.
Then I became concerned about this because after 6 months breastfeeding alone is not sufficient for a baby. They should start getting nutrients from other sources as well.
So I decided to give him some healthy cereals that weren't store-bought.
Initially, I made a small batch of these multigrain cereals and fed it to my kiddo. He enjoyed it in ways I could never have imagined, and it was a huge success.
From then on, I started preparing it in large quantities and stored it in the refrigerator. I used to prepare enough to last me for two to three months.
He was fed only this until he was two years old. Then, after completing 2 years, he was introduced to rice and other foods. But still, he got to taste everything we eat in the form of porridge.
Do try out this baby recipe with a small quantity and an equal proportion of measurements.”
INGREDIENTS (You can choose ingredients as per the availability & your preference)
2 cups Raw Rice
2 cups Brown Rice
1 cup Toor Dal
1 cup Masoor Dal
1 cup Chana Dal
1/2 cup Kabuli Chana
1/2 cup Brown Chana
1/2 cup Soyabean
1/2 cup Kashmiri Beans
1 cup Green Moong Dal
1 cup Yellow Moong Dal
1 cup Jowar
1 cup Whole Wheat
1 cup Raagi
1 cup Proso Millet
1 cup Barnyard Millet
1 cup Foxtail Millet
1 cup Kodo Millet
2 cups Fresh Almonds
2 cups Cashewnuts
2 cups Walnuts
2 cups Pistachios
2 cups Groundnut
Small cup Black Pepper (50 seeds approx)
One whole Nutmeg
METHOD OF PREPARATION RECIPE
- ▪ Wash Raw Rice, Brown Rice, Masoor Dal, Moong Dal, Toor Dal separately, soak for 3-4 hours, and sun-dry until all the moisture is gone and completely dry.
- ▪ Wash and soak Soya Beans, Rajma, Kabuli Chana, Brown Chana, Kashmiri Beans, Green Moong Dal overnight, drain the water, and sun-dry.
- ▪ Soak Almonds and peel off its brown cover and sun-dry them until it's crisp.
- ▪ Wash Whole Wheat, Raagi, Proso, Barnyard, Foxtail, Kodo Millets, dry all the millets. No need to soak these separately.
Note: Cashews, Pistas, and Walnuts need not be soaked and dried. (Directly fry each in a spoonful of ghee separately)
PORRIDGE PREPARATION RECIPE
- ▪ Take 2 spoons of porridge powder that you prepared above and mix it with the required quantity of milk (start with half a glass first) to remove lumps and add 1 spoon of organic jaggery powder.
- ▪ Add the remaining half glass of milk to the above mixture and mix well.
- ▪ Once done, heat the mixture until it thickens. Then cool it completely and feed it to your little one.
NOTE - This is a nutritious and healthy recipe that can be used as a porridge or milkshake by everyone, not just children.