5 things to know to begin with Cloth Diapering
Cloth diapers are an excellent choice for the new age conscientious parents. In fact, Cloth Diapering has been mentioned as a key trend in millennial parenting by none other than Vogue. While a popular parenting choice abroad, Cloth Diapering is now coming into the limelight in India and for all the right reasons. With their chemical-free nature and eco-friendly qualities, these reusable nappies are certainly becoming a preferred choice for most parents. Not to mention the fact that they look super cool on baby bums! If you are exploring the option of Cloth Diapering for your baby, these are the few key points that should help you start. So, here are 5 basic things to know for you to start with Cloth Diapering – Superbottoms endeavors to take Cloth Diapering to all mothers of India. We continue to do our best to spread awareness about them.
Here are 5 basic things to know for you to start with Cloth Diapering –
1. DIAPER PARTS
Each diaper is made up of 3 parts
- Waterproof Outer – This provides the leak-proofing and sizing
- Soaker – These are the absorbent cloth pads that do the job of soaking. They are also called as cloth diaper inserts.
- Dry-Feel Fabric – These provide the essential dry-feel to the babies
2. TYPES OF DIAPERS
- There are two basic types of diapers – Pocket Diapers and Cover Diapers.
- Cover Diapers do not have this pocket; instead the dry-feel layer is attached ON the soaker. This soaker is placed inside the cover (Like sanitary napkins are).
- Pocket Diapers have a pocket of the dry-feel fabric in which one places the soaker (absorbent pad)
- Cover Diapers, since you can replace the wet soaker and reuse the cover, are a little more economical
- Pocket Diapers, due to overall dry-feel fabric, provide better performance and protection
- All in One Diaper – These are diapers wherein atleast one soaker is stitched inside the outer itself making it easy to wear. All in One Cloth Diapers are typically used for heavy-wetting / night-time diapering. Superbottoms Plus is an All-in-one diaper with a detachable soaker which is ideal for night time diapering or for heavy wetters. You can read more about them here
- Any good quality cloth diaper costs between 700-900 for the outer and the soaker.
- Each of these washable nappies lasts the baby for 2.5 years and more.
- The total diapering costs with cloth diapers can be 70-80% lower than that with disposable diapering. More on costing here.
For Beginners, we recommend Pocket Diapers for their convenience and great performance. You can see them here.
There are many types of soakers and each has its pros and cons
- Microfiber soakers – Low Maintenance, Low cost, average absorbency
- Hemp / Bamboo Cotton etc – High Cost, High absorbency, slightly higher maintenance
For Beginners, we recommend microfiber soakers for their low cost and low maintenance. All Superbottoms basic pocket diapers come with 1 microfiber soaker.
4. DIAPER AND SIZE
- Each Cloth Diaper comes with sizing snaps on the front
- These snaps enable you to reduce / increase size of the outer cover
- Each Diaper thus lasts the baby for the entire diapering phase from 3kg – 17 kg
Diapering a newborn – Newborn baby skin is delicate and their poop and pee patterns different. Typically, therefore, diapers come in 2 sizes – One size and Newborn size.
The One size diapers fit babies from 3-4 kg till they are completely potty trained.
Cloth Diapering is a brilliant option for your baby’s diapering needs. It, however, does take some getting used to. We, at Superbottoms, are committed to simplifying cloth diapering to take it to all the babies in India. It is a great choice both for your child and the environment.
Cloth diapers come in various features such as double leak-guards, square tabs, tummy strips for tummy sleeping babies, pocket flaps etc. Each small feature can make a huge difference to your baby’s comfort and your cloth diapering experience. Choose the right cloth diaper.
If you have any queries about Cloth Diapering and Cloth Diapers in India, you can also go through our FAQs or reach out to us at +91 98 20 30 11 06 anytime on call / Whatsapp or write to us here. We will be happy to help you. Always.
Happy diapering to you
Would you like to sign up for a cloth diapering buddy? Our buddies are cloth diapering parents who have been successfully using cloth diapers for their little ones. They love to help other parents with cloth diapering. If you wish to connect with one, click here